Ayuntamiento de Ermua

Sección de utilidades


Galería de Fotos

Menú Principal

Registering as a resident

Registering as a resident

This means registering your name on the Municipal Residency list, showing all the residents of the town. Both Spanish residents and residents from overseas may register, regardless of their age, and whether or not their situation has been regularised.

Registering as a resident

People living in the town must be registered in this registry.

  • It may be a requirement for many official procedures, social assistance and economic assistance.
  • It means that they can apply for the Individual Health Card, sign their children up for school or be eligible for the town's Social Services.
  • For checking how long the person has been living in Spain and Ermua.
  • It allows applicants to participate in programmes to improve the living conditions of local residents.

Non-European Union foreign nationals, with the exception of those who have a Long Term Residence Permit, must renew their registration on the Municipal Census before two years have lapsed from their previous registration. If this is not done,the Town Hall can remove the person from the census without previous consultation.


To register you must:

  • Be an adult, or under-age with authorisation.
  • Reside in the municipality and be housed and registered there.



Please complete and sign the Registration Form.

You must present an official document that is proof of your identity:

  • It is the Spanish National Identity Card (DNI) for those people with Spanish nationality or failing that the registration certificate or passport.
  • For foreign nationals, the following are considered valid identity documents are the Residence Card or a valid passport (also a valid EU citizen's identity card). Minors need the Official Family Booklet or an original copy of a birth certificate.

A document is due to present that credits the use of the house:

  • If you own / to the property deed or contract of sale or a recent receipt of current IBI (Real Property Tax), contract or recent past receipt of a service company (water, gas, electricity, fixed telephony , Home insurance).
  • Valid renting contract.
  • If one does not have what is mentioned above, census registration authorisation:
    • If the owner of the dwelling is registered on the census in the said dwelling: authorisation of the owner of the dwelling as well as a copy of your ID card.
    • If the owner of the dwelling is not registered in said dwelling: authorisation of the owner and a document certifying that she is the owner of the dwelling (the recent deeds of the property or a recent private contract of sale and purchase or a current property tax receipt(IBI),a recent contract or the latest bill from a utility company (water, gas, electricity, telephone landline, house insurance).
    • If it refers to a rental contract, authorisation must be from the tenant, as well as photocopy of your ID card, passport or residence permit, and a photocopy of the rental contract.
    • If it is a collective establishment, authorisation from the person in charge with a signature and the establishment's stamp will be required.

When a minor registers at a different address to that of his/her parents, a document of authorisation from the parents or the person who is the minor's legal representative must be provided.

On change of address the administrative paperwok has to be redone.


Census registration and change of address can be carried out at Ermua Town Council in Abiapuntu.

Further information

© Ayuntamiento de Ermua, 2015 - Marqués de Valdespina, 1 - 48260 Ermua - Bizkaia - Teléfono: 943 17 90 10

Logo de la Unión Europea